Use Reference books for:
- Background information about a topic.
- Brief, factual overviews of topics.
- Information about important dates, events, and people associated with a topic.
- Terminology and definitions of terms related to a topic.
- Articles written by authors with exertise in the subject matter.
- Bibliographies of sources for further reading.
Reference books are located on the Main Floor of the Sojourner Truth Library.
QuickSearch Reference Universe
Reference Universe is a unique database that allows you to search the back-of-the-book indexes and article titles in thousands of encyclopedias and other reference material, both print and electronic, that can be found in the Sojourner Truth Library Reference Collection.
|Quick Search Reference Universe
To quick search Reference Universe:
- Enter your topic (e.g., immigration) into the search box.
- Select an item from the results that appears to offer a useful overview or summary related to the topic.
- Note the reference source's title, call number, and the page number for the reference article.
- Go to the Reference Collection in the library and find your item (by call number) and article (by page)
- Evaluate the usefulness of the item to your research needs.
Free Reference book Photocopying
Service available to SUNY New Paltz students & faculty when the Information Desk is staffed. Books must contain "Ref" in the call number, such as Encyclopedia of India [Ref DS405 .E556 2006 ]
Copies are to be used only for study and research.
Copyright law is observed. During busy times, the patron may be asked to pick up copies at a later time. Not more than 20 pages of the Reference Book may be copied. Please fill out the Free Reference Copy Request form at the Information Desk.